Just lately, Nick and I’ve revealed numerous posts concerning the Citi Status card’s new 5X incomes energy and our ideas about whether or not or to not hold our Sapphire Reserve playing cards (which earn 3X in comparable classes):
In response, a variety of readers asserted that Citi’s switch companions are terrible (shitty, rubbish, ineffective, and so forth.) in comparison with Chase’s companions. If true, that is necessary as a result of one of the best worth use of Citi or Chase factors is to switch factors to a loyalty program for top worth awards. If Citi’s switch companions really pale in comparison with Chase’s, then perhaps 5X isn’t higher than 3X in any case.
Let’s put this to the check…
Inns: Chase wins by default
On the time of this writing, Citi doesn’t have any lodge switch companions whereas Chase Final Rewards factors may be transferred to Hyatt, Marriott / Ritz, or IHG. Of those, solely Hyatt persistently presents higher than 1 cent per level worth in the direction of lodge stays, in order that’s the one Chase lodge associate that I discover helpful. However, it’s fantastically helpful. Hyatt has a really affordable award chart and they don’t cost resort charges on award stays. Level transfers to Hyatt are how I’ve personally used most of my Chase Final Rewards factors… by far.
Apart from the occasional huge lodge win, transferable factors are often greatest used to guide excessive value flights for comparatively few miles. And it’s necessary to know that you simply don’t essentially want miles with the airline you need to fly — you possibly can typically guide the identical flights with a associate’s airline miles and sometimes at higher costs. Right here’s an instance: Suppose you need to fly United firstclass to Hawaii. Money costs for firstclass are often sky excessive. For instance, round-trip flights from Denver to Honolulu in enterprise/first often value $1700 or extra. Spherical-trip awards for a similar flights can value as few as 80,000 miles when booked with United Airways miles. That provides you an honest worth of two.1 cents per mile. Even higher, although, you’ll be able to e-book the identical United Airways flights utilizing Singapore Airways miles and pay solely 60,000 miles round-trip. That provides you a worth of two.eight cents per mile. And each Chase and Citi permit you to switch factors to Singapore Airways. Warning: This was simply an illustrative instance. In actual life it may be extraordinarily troublesome to seek out first-class saver degree awards to Hawaii besides when touring throughout their uncommon off-seasons. Be sure that the awards can be found earlier than transferring factors!
A number of of switch companions can be found as 1 to 1 transfers from each Chase and Citibank:
Every of the above switch companions are extraordinarily helpful underneath the correct circumstances. For instance, I’ve just lately discovered that Air France typically costs Delta flights cheaper than Delta does.
Distinctive Airline Transfer Companions from Chase
Along with the switch companions listed above, Chase presents 1 to 1 transfers to the next airline loyalty packages:
Distinctive Airline Transfer Companions from Citi
Along with the switch companions listed above, Citibank gives 1 to 1 transfers to the next airline loyalty packages…
Distinctive Beneficial Transfer Companions from Citi
Distinctive Value a Look Transfer Companions from Citi
Distinctive Not-Advisable Transfer Companions from Citi
To my information, Chase has by no means provided a bonus for transferring factors to airline miles. Citi does so often. You’ll be able to all the time view present and expired bonuses right here: Present Level Transfer Bonuses. However, to save lots of you the difficulty, listed here are the bonuses Citi has provided prior to now few years:
Essential notes about previous Citi switch bonuses:
- JetBlue used to switch at lower than 1 to 1 from Citi, so the bonuses on the time merely introduced the ratio as much as 1 to 1
- Hilton was a switch companion, however that relationship led to late 2017
Chase is clearly higher for transfers to lodge packages since Chase gives them and Citi doesn’t. Particularly, Chase gives transfers to Hyatt which may be fantastically invaluable underneath sure circumstances.
With airline switch companions, although, there’s no clear winner.
- If you wish to fly Delta, each Chase and Citi supply level transfers to Air France and Virgin Atlantic. Each nice choices for reserving Delta awards.
- If you wish to fly American Airways or different OneWorld companions, Chase has the sting with help for transfers to Avios (British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia). British Airways and Iberia, particularly, have nice candy spot awards. However, if you wish to fly lengthy distance on American Airways enterprise class, you’re a lot better off with Etihad miles and Etihad is exclusive to Citibank.
- If you wish to fly United Airways or different Star Alliance companions, I’d say that the 2 packages are roughly equal. Each help transfers to Star Alliance member Singapore Airways. And each supply level transfers to Star Alliance packages that by no means cross alongside gasoline surcharges on awards: Chase Final Rewards factors switch to United MileagePlus; and Citi ThankYou Rewards switch to Avianca LifeMiles. Nevertheless, every of those has its personal benefits:
- Benefits to United MileagePlus (a Chase Final Rewards switch companion):
- E-book excursionist awards (see this submit for particulars)
- Excellent on-line reserving device
- Can ebook awards for flights with no saver award availability (however at larger costs)
- When mixed with a United MileagePlus bank card, you get entry to further financial system saver awards
- When mixed with a United MileagePlus bank card, you get final seat availability of home financial system awards at the usual worth (i.e. a lot larger worth than saver awards). This is usually a lifesaver once you want a flight on the final minute. See this publish for an actual life instance.
- No on-line reserving payment (Avianca in the meantime costs $25 per ticket)
- Benefits to Avianca LifeMiles (a Citi ThankYou Rewards switch associate):
- Combined-cabin pricing can result in incredible first-class award costs. See this publish for particulars.
- Capability to guide United Airways home flights for as little as 7,500 miles a method (or 15,000 miles a method in top notch). See this publish for particulars.
- In contrast to United, Avianca doesn’t cost close-in reserving charges (United expenses $75 to non-elites for reserving awards inside 21 days)
- Benefits to United MileagePlus (a Chase Final Rewards switch companion):
- If you wish to fly Southwest, Chase is the apparent winner since they help transfers to Southwest and Citi doesn’t. Southwest doesn’t have any companions with which you’ll be able to e-book their flights.
As a result of Chase solely providing level transfers to Southwest, they edge out Citi on this class, however solely barely. Nevertheless…
Contemplating that Citi typically gives switch bonuses, I’m calling it a draw.
Backside Line: Citi’s switch companions aren’t shitty in any respect
After evaluating Chase and Citi’s airline switch companions, I concluded that they’ve roughly equal worth. Chase does have a few wonderful companions that Citi doesn’t have, however the reverse is true as properly. And, contemplating Citi’s frequent switch bonuses, I’d argue that Citi’s airline partnerships are comparable and even higher than Chase’s (relying upon your wants).
Lodge companions are an entire totally different story. Chase has them. Citi doesn’t. Chase has Hyatt… drop mike